Fire Extinguisher Training
How to use Your Fire Extinguisher
(The Key is the right PASS word)
Pull the safety pin out to unlock the lever or trigger. The fire extinguisher can’t spray until the safety pin is removed.
Aim low and point the fire extinguisher’s nozzle or hose at the base of the fire.
Squeeze the lever or trigger to discharge the powder or “agent.”
Sweep from side to side, always aiming at the base of the fire.
Read the label on your fire extinguisher and the user’s manual for complete instructions.
Make sure everyone in your family and workplace knows how to use the fire extinguisher before you’re faced with a fire emergency!
Remember your safety is first!
Buying and maintaining an extinguisher
- Extinguishers come in dry chemical, foam, carbon dioxide, water, or halon types. Whatever type you buy, it should be labeled by a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
- The higher the number rating on the extinguisher the more fire it puts out. High rated ones are often (not always) the heavier models. Make sure you can hold and operate the one you might buy for home use or be required to use at work.
- Ask your dealer or fire dept. how you should service and inspect your extinguisher. Recharge it after ANY use. A partially used one should be considered empty.
- Extinguishers should be installed away from potential fire hazards and near an escape-exit route.
- If you would like further training on your fire extinguishers please contact Bayshore Fire Dept. at 543-3443.